History of Teays Valley Presbyterian Church
In February, 1955, eighteen families in Teays Valley responded to a survey by the Synod, expressing their interest in establishing a church in the community. In October, 1955 the church began as the Teays Valley Presbyterian Chapel under the sponsorship of the First Presbyterian Church of South Charleston, WV. A lot, 150’ x 250’ located on Teays Valley Road, was donated to the chapel by Mr. C. V. Starkey.
Initially, meetings were conducted once a month in various homes in the community. In March, 1956, services were commenced in the Scott Teays Elementary School. Ground breaking ceremonies for the chapel were held June 17, 1956 and the chapel building was completed in the spring of 1957.
A petition to organize the Teays Valley Chapel as a church was approved by the Kanawha Presbytery on October 6, 1959. On October 25, 1959, the Teays Valley Presbyterian Church was organized with 66 charter members.
The church grew rapidly, and on March 15, 1964 a building program was approved for construction of the present sanctuary, fellowship hall, and additional classrooms. Ground breaking for the $85,000 project was held on June 14, 1964. The building was completed and occupied on February 21, 1965 and dedicated on March 21, 1965.
June, 1973 approval was given to expand the educational facilities. The goal was reached and the completed education wing was dedicated on November 3, 1974.